1974; Christian Barnard transplants 1st human heart. Lucy an almost complete hominid skeleton of over 3 million years old was discovered in Africa. MRI Scanner was developed. West Germany wins the 1974 World Cup. Yakubu Gowon was the President of Nigeria. The minimum annual wage of N720 giving to Nigerian civil servants was equivalent of $1200. Abuja was a no man’s land. And somewhere in north-east Nigeria, Ali Nuhu was born.
42 years later, and Ali Nuhu Mohammed was no ordinary man. He’s one of the most successful film stars in Africa and the most popular Hausa actor in the world. The King of Kannywood. In celebration of his 42nd Birthday, here’s our list as to why Kannywood fans love him so much.
1. From Sangaya and Wasila to Sai Wata Rana and Lamiraj to Ina Miji Na and Jarumin Maza and many more, Ali Nuhu owned his characters and stole the heart of Kannywood followers with his over the top performances.
2. For his social media presence. With almost 90 thousand followers on twitter, 900 thousand on Facebook and and 162 thousand on instagram, Ali is by far the most interactive Kannywood star on social media.
3. For being a self-made man. “….I have dreamt of it, but had great passion for it, those days when we were miniature we stayed glued to our TV screens, watching movies and you wish to become like who you are seeing on TV, you know *laugh*. I watched a lot of soap series and that was where I got my verdict from.” That’s determination to succeed despite many challenges.
4. For Being a proud Hausa man: Ali Nuhu’s recognition and fame stretches far beyond Nigeria and Africa. His choice of clothing during his first AMAA and Afro-Hollywood awards were testament to how proud he is to come from northern Nigeria.
5. FKD Productions. The Home of Family Entertainers produced fantastic films like Mujadala, Kudiri, Sansani, Gambiza, Dan Baiwa, Fil’azal, Adamsy, Madubin Dubawa, Gamu Nan Dai and more.
6. For Making us fall in love (or not): Love battles, songs, dialogues from films like Sharhi, Abadan Da’iman, Qugiya, Taraliya, Zabari, Sai Wata Rana, Kaso A So Ka, Ni Dake Mun Dace…. Ali Nuhu has given the die-hard romantics what they desire. The master of love stories.
7. For his help in launching the careers of so many Kannywood stars like Late Ahmad S Nuhu, Adam A Zango, Fati Muhammad, Lawal Ahmad, Sadiq Ahmad, Nafisa Abdullahi, Nazifi Asnanic, Maijidda Ibrahim, Zahradden Sani, Sadiq Sani Sadiq, Maryam Booth, Rahma Sadau, and many more.
8. For bringing out the best in his directors: Most of the best movies we saw from Late Tijjani Ibrahim, Ishaq Sidi Ishaq, Rabi’u Ibrahim, Aminu Saira etc featured Ali Nuhu in them.
9. For making trailers a bearable experience: Take those voice overs out of the equations and perhaps we won’t waste our time watching the trailers again and again.
10. He is a family man: Ali Nuhu is his own love story. His respect, love and care for his wife Maimuna and their children Fatima and Ahmad has kept the family happy for over a decade now. An example.
Happy Birthday Mr Superstar, may you live long and continue to blossom….
Written By: Ibrahim Umar Bello